+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: honda cr125 big bore

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25

    honda cr125 big bore

    Has any one run a big bore kit in a 125? I just got a 2005 cr 125 I don't know if I should go with the 134cc 139cc or 144cc. Performance? Reliability? I race the Vet Int in motocross and VetA in Worcs Bought the bike for the fun factor, I normally ride a crf 450r. Any info would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    doc DrMarkR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    3,225
    If you bought the bike for fun factor, why BB it?? Just ride the thing....it ain't ever going to go like your 450, so just ride it! Less reliability, more vibration, maybe a less useful power band....twist the sheit out of the thing and have some fun.
    Mark Russell
    #321 Vet Master
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

  3. #3
    Bestower of roost 2strokenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by vis152
    Has any one run a big bore kit in a 125? I just got a 2005 cr 125 I don't know if I should go with the 134cc 139cc or 144cc. Performance? Reliability? I race the Vet Int in motocross and VetA in Worcs Bought the bike for the fun factor, I normally ride a crf 450r. Any info would be appreciated.


    www.eric-gorr.com


    I have a lot of seat time on a modded rm144 and it ripped. The cr should be similar. Very fun. FWIW the 144 kit only makes a fun bike even more fun and lets you actually stand a chance against 450's. Plus its cheap. Less than the price of a full exhaust system, v-force, and plain porting.

    Dirt rider did a long term test of a 2007 cr144 do a search for it.
    2-strokes smell yummy
    RSMC
    2005 KX250

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMarkR
    If you bought the bike for fun factor, why BB it?? Just ride the thing....it ain't ever going to go like your 450, so just ride it! Less reliability, more vibration, maybe a less useful power band....twist the sheit out of the thing and have some fun.
    keep the bike stock don't you have a few bikes from Yves Edge. I have to mod the bike out. I'm getting older and slower so I have to make the bike a little cooler.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by 2strokenut
    www.eric-gorr.com


    I have a lot of seat time on a modded rm144 and it ripped. The cr should be similar. Very fun. FWIW the 144 kit only makes a fun bike even more fun and lets you actually stand a chance against 450's. Plus its cheap. Less than the price of a full exhaust system, v-force, and plain porting.

    Dirt rider did a long term test of a 2007 cr144 do a search for it.
    readed that test it was good. I was looking into eric gorr or a max power kit"s

  6. #6
    Bestower of roost 2strokenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by vis152
    readed that test it was good. I was looking into eric gorr or a max power kit"s

    In all honesty, Max Power is a rip off. They charge almost double what Eric does and most of the time they don't touch the ports. You can actually call and talk to Eric and he can give you an idea of what he can do for you. He's a nice guy too. He may even have a kit ready to go so you could have your 144 ready to go in a week.
    2-strokes smell yummy
    RSMC
    2005 KX250

  7. #7
    doc DrMarkR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    3,225
    Quote Originally Posted by vis152
    keep the bike stock don't you have a few bikes from Yves Edge. I have to mod the bike out. I'm getting older and slower so I have to make the bike a little cooler.
    I have a CRF304 BB, and a 450.

    But my YZ125 is stock. If I'm interested in turning the lowest lap times, I'll ride one of the thumpa's. But for fun, and to work on corner speed, it's all about the 125... couple more hp isn't going to make any difference in that respect, imo. If you're planning on racing it in the Vet class, I guess you might want it though.

    I would point out that I've raced mine in an OT event and gotten the holeshot on it. Once.
    Mark Russell
    #321 Vet Master
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

  8. #8
    Senior Member Short271's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMarkR
    I have a CRF304 BB, and a 450.

    But my YZ125 is stock. If I'm interested in turning the lowest lap times, I'll ride one of the thumpa's. But for fun, and to work on corner speed, it's all about the 125... couple more hp isn't going to make any difference in that respect, imo. If you're planning on racing it in the Vet class, I guess you might want it though.

    I would point out that I've raced mine in an OT event and gotten the holeshot on it. Once.
    Word... my CR125 is an Yves bike too but stock bore.... 30hp rear wheel. I'm 210 before i bolt up the gear... bike rips plenty singing in the proper key.
    :biggrin: :biggrin: Chased Doc around for all too long on his 450 recently... i think i mighta showed him a wheel once... eh Doc?? hahahaha great times

  9. #9
    Senior Member Short271's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,852
    I know Tony has been bugging to do a big bore 125... maybe call him! I bet he'd have some options for ya.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    gilbert
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by vis152
    Has any one run a big bore kit in a 125? I just got a 2005 cr 125 I don't know if I should go with the 134cc 139cc or 144cc. Performance? Reliability? I race the Vet Int in motocross and VetA in Worcs Bought the bike for the fun factor, I normally ride a crf 450r. Any info would be appreciated.
    Doc is correct , you can make that 125 in stock bore and stroke work fine .
    I used to do 167 kits that works really well on a 125 but they are spendy and became obsolete with the 250 4 strokes , other than that you are better off leaving the stock bore and stroke modding it and running it.

    the BB piston kits are spendy to replace ( and on a 2 stroke you will want to keep the top end fresh all the time , ring it weekly and piston monthly)

    the balance is off with a BB kit unless you do the crank correctly ,

    BB kits really require a one off pipe to really get them to work , and 113.5 F&L race fuel or C16 .
    The 167's are really cool and run hard , but they need alot of TLC and care.

    the 134,139,144 really is not worth doing for the gain you get .

    if you are going to do a BB the 167 is the way to go,

    but now you have taken the afordabilty and fun out of a simple cheep bike
    BRAKING OR ACCELERATING OR BOTH AT THE SAME TIME BUT NEVER COASTING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts